ICECAP BATTERY BACKUP V2.0 HIGHLIGHTS
- New model updated for 2020! This new version is 24V rather than 12V like the original.
- Turns on immediately after a power failure to protect your aquarium
- Keeps a single flow pump running ~35 hours after a power loss
- You can connect 2 flow pumps to a single battery backup for ~17 hours of backup operation
- You can connect two battery backups together to double the run time of a single pump to ~70 hours
- Compact and attractive form factor that is easy to mount on a wall or aquarium stand
- Get started immediately: power supply, pump adapters, and user guide are all included in the box
- Compatible with most 12-24 volt pumps from brands like Maxspect, IceCap, and Reef Octopus.
*On average 50w at 30% power single pump/single power cell.
Keep Your Aquarium Safe When Disaster Strikes!
Being optimistic about your success in the hobby is great, but any experienced aquarium keeper will advise you to prepare for all possibilities. As the expression goes, “Hope for the best and prepare for the worst.” One of the easiest ways to prevent an aquarium from crashing is by connecting a pump or powerhead to a battery backup device. That way, if your home or office experiences expected or unexpected losses of power, your pump(s) will keep the moving water—which is essential for the survival of fish and coral.
There are a variety of ways a power loss can occur. Here are a few common reasons:
A Scheduled Outage
Utility companies perform routine maintenance and equipment upgrades from time-to-time. Even though you’ll likely know of the outage in advance, it’s nice to have peace of mind that your pump will continue running uninterrupted to keep your livestock safe.
A Repair Outage
Unexpected circumstances, like an automobile accident or severe weather, can cause a power failure. Power lines can be damaged if a car crashes into a utility pole. Heavy rains or high winds can damage power lines. Keep your tank insulated from power interruptions with a battery backup.
A Rotating Outage
Often referred to as a “rolling blackout,” a rotating outage is a last-resort measure used by a utility company to avoid a total blackout. These can sometimes occur during heatwaves. Keep oxygen levels from plunging to dangerous levels by plugging your pump into the IceCap Battery Backup v2.0.
A Major Outage
Natural disasters like earthquakes, wildfires, hurricanes, and tornados can damage power equipment and networks resulting in large, widespread outages. If you live where hurricanes frequently make landfall, having a couple of battery backups connected to a pump can help keep your tank inhabitants alive for ~3 days.
Which Pump Brands Can I Connect to the IceCap Battery Backup v2.0?
One of the biggest benefits of the IceCap Battery Backup over competing brands is that it isn’t restricted to a single brand of pump. The new battery backup v2.0 is compatible with most 24V or less variable speed DC pumps on the market today.
Here are some popular pumps the IceCap Battery Backup works with:
Maxspect Gyre Pumps (All Models)
IceCap Gyre Pumps (All Models)
Reef Octopus Octo Pulse Pumps (All Models)
Reef Octopus VarioS Pumps (VarioS-2 and VarioS-4)
IceCap Battery Backup v2.0 Detailed Specs
DC Charger: Input: 100V to 240V 50/60Hz | Output: 27V 600MA
Main Unit DC: Output: 24V x 2.5A max | Input: 27V 1A max
Fuse: 250V 10A 5x20mm fast blow
Size: 5.75in x 5in x 3.125in (WxLxH)
Battery Backup Best Practices for Operation & Maintenance
The IceCap Battery Backup v2.0 should be kept in an environment with a temperature of approximately 70º F for optimal operation. The life of the battery will depend on the number of discharges that the unit has cycled through. Every time the unit cycles, the life of the battery and its capacity are reduced.
NOTE: Depending on the pump and pump controller you are using, the pump may not slow down during a power loss when the battery backup is activated as you might expect with a 12V battery (this is a 24V battery).
Backed by a 1-Year Manufacturer Warranty with US Customer Support
The IceCap Battery Backup v2.0 is guaranteed to be free from defects in material and workmanship for a period of 1-year. Just follow the instructions in the box to register the unit online after you receive it. The IceCap Battery Backup is distributed in the United States by CoralVue which offers repair, replacement, and part services from their headquarters in Slidell, Louisiana.
- Additional Information
- Product Specs
- I had a UPS designed for a computer as a back up, but the first time it was needed in a power outage I got an error and it failed, I bought the ice cap to power my gyre pump to keep water flowing in case of a future outage. It arrived very fast and was very easy to install. Followed directions and had it hooked up and running in less than 5 minutes. It is a very cheap "piece of mind" for all I have invested in corals. Great Idea and it is supposed to give me about 35 hours of run time if needed.