The HI96822 Digital Refractometer eliminates the uncertainty associated with mechanical refractometers by measuring the refractive index to determine the salinity of natural and artificial seawater including brackish, ocean water or saltwater aquarium. The instrument converts the refractive index of a sample to PSU, ppt and specific gravity. These conversions are based on respected scientific publications using the physical properties of seawater (not sodium chloride). The HI96822 is an easy to use tool for measuring salinity in natural and artificial seawater whether in the field, lab or at home.
- Designed for seawater salinity analysis (not NaCl)
- Automatic Temperature Compensation
- High accuracy measurements displayed as PSU, ppt and specific gravity
Making a Standard Solution
Sodium Chloride solutions can be used to check the accuracy of the meter. The table below lists two Sodium Chloride solutions and their expected ppt Seawater value.
To make a Standard NaCl Solution (g/100 g), follow the procedure below
- Place container (such as a glass vial or dropper bottle that has a cover) on an analytical balance.
- Tare the balance.
- To make an X NaCl solution weigh out X grams of high purity dried Sodium Chloride (CAS #: 7647-14-5: MW 58.44) directly into the container.
- Add distilled or deionized water to the beaker so the total weight of the solution is 100g.
Example Standard NaCl solution:
NaCl (g) Water (g) Total Expected Seawater value (ppt) 3.5% NaCl 3.50 96.50 100.000 34 10% NaCl 10.00 90.00 100.000 96
- Additional Information
- Product Specs
Manufacturer Hanna Instruments